Saturday 17 September 2016

My Place.

The students in Amua hub have been writing about "My Place."

Here is an example of what we have been writing -

Everyday.
Everyday I go to school to achieve my goals and to be as successful as I can possibly be.

When I think about the best place in the world I would say it is up north where we call home.

We have a beautiful beach, amazing mountains and very exciting sites to see.  Ask me where it is and I will tell you it is Te Kao.

Te Kao is a very small town about 50km from Cape Reinga at the very top of the North Island. Some say it is a sleepy and lonely town but it is where I call home.

My Grandpa is from Te Kao and we go up there to remember my Grandma.

At Christmas time our entire extended family come together in Te Kao to celebrate the Summer holiday’s together. We go to Te Awapoka Bay to have a big shared kai and we all just love food. When I think about Te Kao I think about food, glorious food. I love that.

After lunch we sit together and Grandpa tells us tales of the good old days in Te Kao - every year he tells us the same stories and every year we listen as if it was the first time we have heard it. He is a really good story teller.

He tells us about how he grew up and how hard it was for his family. They didn’t have a lot of money and had to work for everything that they were given. He tells us how lucky we are to have everything that we now have and to value it all and appreciate it too.

He tells us about this beautiful place that we call home. A place to come to when you are feeling sad. A place to come to when you want to celebrate. A place to come to to feel safe and protected. A place where our ancestors lie.

That's why there is no place like home.

Lyric.

No comments:

Post a Comment